Thursday, January 25, 2007


The other day, I had a slight twinge of homesickness. This usually happens during my midyear break. I wanted to be back amongst the people I grew up with, meeting on friday nights in the masjid for the halaqa's. Being together, no worries, no stress. Everyone is relaxed and chilled out. I found out the other day that the concept of having a 'Halaqa' group in the middle east is unheard of. Thats strange to me, because I grew up always being in one. We talked and debated about islamic topics. Every week we alternate and one person leads the halaqa. Its great, and the food at the end is pretty good too. ;)


So this slight homesickness lead me to the Zaytouna Institutes homepage.

and guess what I found? I thought it was random, but a really great idea. They now provide podcasts from Hamzah Yusef lectures, Imam Zaid Shakir, and a few others.


Here check it out :
http://www.zaytuna.org/podcast.asp

:)

8 Comments:

Blogger Fragile said...

Interesting hopefully we see more of these websites that use cool gadgets like ipod or walkman to pass such nice messages or lectures.

I still don’t want to get lectures from those Saudi mtawa’as who makes our lives colorless and all about dying and grave :(

I do not see having itune or ipod is all about music, sometimes I just do not feel like listening to songs especially there is nothing worth listing these days….

Thank you for the website

12:42 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

no problem man.

oh if you are interested in something really cool, that deals with islam, just email me. Sheikh Hamzah and Imam Zaid (WHO IS SOO AWESOME) go on retreats in the summer, different places around the world. Its an awesome experience.

and i agree with you, the saudis ya akhey -shakes head-

12:45 PM  
Blogger BuJ said...

very cool indeed.. techno-islamo-podcastie-cool!

6:58 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I remember checking the lectures few months ago, and they were really good, some were more about Muslims in America which made me think, why don't we have something about the culture here? and here is NOT Saudi Arabia, but there are so many issues that need to be addressed especially concerning young people that will no one talks about. (from what I have found, so if anyone has any links or names, please do share)

Saudi's seem to go to extremes, which is honestly, not what I want to listen to.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

yea mj there are a lot of issues here that need to be addressed.

we just dont want the saudis to address them. haha.

anyways, its just good to hear them, reminds me of home.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Fragile said...

haha listen to anything BUT those sauidi dudes

Once a guy (those in dirty very short kandorah and missed up beard) in Saudi when I was there for Haj a cassette as “انشره و لك الاجر”.

Anyways I played it, I sound as have nothing to do but I wanted to know cool I have no TV or Ipod anyways this thing really freaked me out. The guy in the cassette was screaming and he sounded like telling me “do this and that or u will go to hell” in my mind u will go to hell, if this cassette went to a little kid he will commit suicide. THEY ARE CRAZY I don’t think Islam is like this.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

yea islam isnt about screaming at people to do this and that or they are going to hell.

I cant stand it when people twist our religion like that.

7:07 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

lol reminds me with some forwards i used to get saying if u don't forward to 10 muslims u will lose so much thawab and if u do you'll get a house in heaven and 70 v.....

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home