Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The role of the Masjid is Losing its place in Society

Let me explain why I am writing about the loss of the Masjid in Society.
I have lived here for almost 7 years now, and till this day I remember my first fajr in the UAE. I'm in my hotel room, slightly dazed from waking up from a long restful sleep. I peered out my window and I realized it was still dark outside. I crack open my window and then I heard it. The call to prayer. It was memorizing. It came from all directions. I counted 8 muathens, (the person calling the prayer). each one different and unique in his own way. I will never forget that moment.

7 years later, it is the night before Ramadan. I am driving to the masjid to pray taraweeh. I knew I was slightly late because it was 8:15. I walk out of my home, and to my dismay, I don't hear a single thing. It was so bizarre. Why couldn't I hear the imam leading the prayer? I was so upset. Has it really come to this? Living in a Muslim country, and we aren't even allowed to hear the Imam recite Quran anymore? What about all those women who are at home and can't make it to the masjid because they have children to take care of? Why are we deprived of this?

The Masjid has become a foreign place to Muslims in this society. It is a weekly visit for men and boys hurry to get it over with. Oh and on top of that, they choose a masjid where they know the imam will recite quickly and be done with it. Or they complain when they imam decides to recite a few more verses than usual. The ignorance is so prevalent among the Muslims that it's disheartening. You see it right when you enter the masjid. I find children running around wild, screaming their heads off. I look at them, they are dirty and smell awful. I see older kids hanging around outside. Are you serious?! People pass by them and don't even give them a second thought. Someone please say something!!! If I ever ran around in the masjid like that, my parents would have taken a strap to my legs. As I enter the masjid, I find it dirty and the smell makes me want to hurl. At one point, I feel like crying from the total disrespect. What happened to cleanliness?



WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ROLE OF THE MASJID IN OUR SOCIETY?

It was once the core of our society, and now it is casted aside,deemed insignificant.




Please read this link that I am providing.



A Masjid is not only a place of spiritual worship, but a learning institution and a counseling center. If you look around you, you can see how the loss of the masjids role is evident. Look at the children, teenagers and young adults, they are ignorant and disrespectful.

Please bring back the Masjid!
http://www.islamfortoday.com/education01.htm

10 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

We were talking about that in Emirates Society course; how the Masjid is losing its value in the society and the teacher mentioned that they close Masjids an hour after prayer and he said it in a way as if the authorities is to blame for that, but I wonder if that's the case because why would the Masjid open to people who doesn't respect the place in the first place?
I guess it's from both? I don't know.

12:07 PM  
Blogger BuJ said...

wow.. brilliant post and so true!
the masjid i goto here in the UK is the same and even worst.. it stinks and is full of lousy noisy kids.. i usually have to break a fight between 10 year olds in order to get thru the main door.

in the UAE things are deteriorating too.. i guess it's the price we pay for this super quick development.. bring back the masjid!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

Im scared one day the masjid is going to be a ghostly architecture, a reminder of the past.

1:57 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

... or even worse.. masjid will be converted to arts centres and cinemas.. just like some churches here in the UK!

i hope i never see that day!

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week the friday sermon asked the people to register for the new ID. Thats the newest role of the masjid..


Nice to see you guys alive n kicking

11:40 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

to blogger:still sleeping said.,
thanks for coming by.

Yea we're still alive.

Haha when i read your comment, i imagined the masjid in the future announcing whats going to be on tomorrows lunch menu. I dont know why... hahah.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Hala biz! Min zamaan!

Belated Eid Mubarak. I shouldn't talk though, just got back to blogging myself after a hundred years lol

Well the role of mosques seem to be fading in some areas and strengthening in others. In sweden the mosque for some groups of people has become a thriving meeting place, and for others a place of unwelcoming air.

Either way, you pose an important question... On my three trips to the UAE I entered into more or less empty mosques all the time...

10:12 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

OH SS!!

WELCOME BACK!! :)
YAAAAA HALA.
dudeeee happy belated eid to you too. I hope your's was enjoyable, mine was such a bore. :(
go back to blogging.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Thanks girl :) Cheer up ya bint!

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The original word for masjid in the time of the Prophet was Jama3, which means gathering place for people. That is the original role of the mosque, a meeting and cultural center for the people to gather, discuss important issues, so on.
But over the years the Jama3 has lost this essence, and that is one of the main problems facing muslims today.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home