Thursday, June 22, 2006

**** Culture Shock ****

Culture Shock, I get it every time I come back to the US and when I go back to the UAE.

and so my famous LISTS:

  1. First Shock: Why are people staring at me, and then give me a smile? weirrrd.
  2. Traveling domestically is a pain in the @$$!! The service is horrible too :/
  3. I ran into a girl I knew in grade school at the airport, that is just soo random. I haven't seen her in years, and what is she doing way across the US?
  4. People talk slowly when they first see me,and I give them a big smile and talk super fast. ;)
  5. The speed limits are so low and people just drive so slowly, It drives me crazy.
  6. COPS ARE EVERYWHERE, WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE.
  7. You actually have to come to a complete stop at stop signs. YES COMPLETE STOP. or else you'll get a huge ticket fine, I mean HUGE $$$$$$$.
  8. Around town, people will wave at you. They don;t know you, they are just being friendly. I always have to remind myself to wave back instead of wondering if I know them.
  9. You get major discounts for being a college student, even if you are studying overseas.
  10. A drunk man asking the waiter to read the menu for him because he can't read. I actually started laughing.
  11. In the bible belt of America, homosexuals actually proclaim they are homosexual. THATS A HUGE CHANGE.
  12. Renting a movie is so cheap (compared to the UAE).
  13. GAS IS SOOO EXPENSIVE. People are about to sell an arm or a leg. Last summer the prices were $1.60, now its $2.60. I remember one summer, about 7 years ago the price of gas was $0.60. NO JOKE.
  14. Super markets are so strange to me. I haven't grocery shopped for my parents in the longest time. There is just too much variety.
  15. Electronic Stores don't have the latest electronics. haha.
  16. Sex is always the topic on American TV.
  17. Gossip Magazines are everywhere, and they follow the same people around everywhere. GET A LIFE.
  18. I ran away from a thunderstorm yesterday. Literally, I saw black clouds approaching and lightning.I was at the neighborhood basketball courts. I was running at full speed, I was about 15 minutes away from the house. Right when I entered the house, I heard the loudest crackle of lightening and thunder!!!
  19. Little kids here are so social and talkative!! (Mashallah).
  20. And the last culture shock is that Food is everywhere here, you cant escape from it, its just too damn good. I didn't think I could hold down all that junk food. My friends were shocked that someone that tiny could eat that much, and not throw it up later!! ;)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dam i knew gas prices were higer over there, but holy crap!

there's 1 thing i didn't understand, the "bible belt homo" thing.

anyway wish u have an enjoyable time at the retreat

signed: your muslim brother in dxb

12:49 AM  
Blogger Samawel said...

The talking thing happens to me too... Except in Dubai and in Arabic, most locals can't properly decided where I'm from, so if they talk in local Arabic, it happens so slowly and simply that I shock them when I talk back fast.

Out and proud homosexuals in the bible belt is a different thing, I'm sure... Would probably shock many others when homosexuals here become out and proud. haha

Food's good too. The same thing was told to me 2 days ago... Ate so much, but I'm practically underweight. No one could make sense of it.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Edward Ott said...

Yeah America can be a little wierd at times. heck people can be a little wierd at times.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

thanks teengager 92 ok a.k.a my dxb bro in ISLAM,

Ok the bible belt in the US consists of most of the southern states. i.e, kentucky,tennesse,georgia, alabama (you get the drift). They are called the 'Bible Belt' because they are deeply religious christians. You know how there is a masjid in ever corner in the middle east? well there is a church in every corner in the bible belt.

So to proclaim that you are homosexual in this area, is like INSANE. Imagine someone outright proclaiming they are homosexual in AL AIN! (see where im getting at?)

Samawel,
Confusing the locals? hehe. I get confused when I speak to people in arabic because it sounds funny when im speaking with a syrian dialect,and they reply with an emiraty dialect, and then they just switch to a 'meditteranian dialect' (they think they are speaking with a syrian accent, but they are wayyyyy off).


haha in the end with all the effort, we end up speaking in English.

ahhh yes the food, the FOOD MAN! I'm guessing we both have very high metabolisms.

Do you eat many meals in one day?

It will be a very strange day when people began proclaiming they are gay and proud in DUBAI.

edward ott,
people are weird everywhere.
You gotta love that.
Just wait for my culture shock post when I return to the UAE. haha

10:05 PM  
Blogger 1234dsfs said...

I thought the stores in the US had the latest electronics.

Never been there.

Nice post, but where is #21 ???

6:41 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

Ahmed,
21 is to be continued....

about the electronics, the latest ones are in the larger cities.

For example, I went to chicago the other day, and I found some pretty good stuff, but I wouldn't have found them in Savannah for example.

you should pay it a visit one day :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

You sure that storm didnt give you an electric shock? lol

How are you biz! Hope you're having a good time. The waving part is nice though :) I wish swedes would wave more...

12:32 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

SS! YA AHLAN WA SHALAN WA MARHABTAYN!

Im great hamdullah, how are you? Im having a great time. I actually just finished this deen intensive week with Imam majid and Imam zayd. Truly outstanding people. Mashallah. Imam Zayd Shakir is just so awesome. He gave me a few names that I can contact (you know nafs el shalay, the ones that studied in syria also ;) ) in the UAE, to help me with this project im going to try to do in the Emirates inshallah.

Yea people wave a lot, its really sweet. Im use to people stopping me now, and they are so friendly and just really curious. Today a local news station crew in indy, stopped me and my nephew at the local park.

Its been a nice and carefree summer. The weather is beautiful.

Oh and about the storm, I dont think i got an electric shock....
hahaha.

its good to hear from you SS

7:14 PM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Wonderful Biz, Zaid Shakir is always a pleasure to listen to. I'm glad you had that week to spend at the Intensive.

I'd like to hear more about the project you're working on. When you have time taba3an :)

I'm well alhamdolillah. soon travelling again. But it will be good inshallah.

There are still peeps studying in Syria that know the Zaytouna bunch. Ahhhhhh biddi saaafir la soouriyyehhh!!!

ok '7alas bikaffi...I'm going to bed now. Take care :)

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

say yes to junk food!! =D

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and yeah the whole smiling thing can be strange...but i like it. so unlike al ain!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home