Friday, June 09, 2006

BOOKS! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS!! BOOKS!

My mind has been so overworked with academic coursework, conferences, activities, ect... that I haven't had the time to read in agesssss.

For me thats horrible! I love reading books. I love to hear what other people are reading. I love to discuss books with people. I love the exchange of ideas and opinions. I love the heated debates!

I get so annoyed when people say that they don't like to read or that they haven't read anything since they were in middle school. By the way, romance novels do not hold well with me, i may laugh in your face if you ever told me that you've actually read that crap.

A funny story, I was suppose to be celebrating the summer with a few of my friends, by going partying and going insane. We got too bummy and ended up discussing books! I felt the need to start compling my summer reading list! Two hours later and I found the books that I want to read over the summer. Haha I don't know how much will be read, but inshallah I want to read a lot.

You will always find a book or two in my bag. There are a few books that are not on the list because I re-read them every summer and they are usually always in my bag or on my bed stand.

They are :
1. Rajal houl al rasoul : Men around the Messenger.
2. The Search for Beauty in Islam.

And so I give you... My list .....

1.Einstein's Dreams, Alan P. Lightman
2.Invisible Cities, Italo Calvino, William Weaver (translator)
3.If On A Winter's Night A Traveler, Italo Calvino, William Weaver (Translator)
4.The Scarlet and the Black, Stendhal, Margaret R. Shaw (Translator)
5.Fathers and Sons, Ivan Turgenev, Constance Garnett
6.Dead Souls, Nikolai Gogol
7.Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger
8.Animal Farm, George Orwell, C. M. Woodhouse (Introduction), Preface by Russell Baker 9.The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
10.Life of Pi, Yann Martel
11.The Devil in the White City, Erik Larson
12.Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
13.Sixteenth Round, Rubin Hurricane Carter
14.The Dante Club, Matthew Pearl
15.The Coffee Trader, David Liss
16.The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Lucia Graves (Translator)
17.The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
18.Cry, The Beloved Country, Alan Paton
19.One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez, Gregory Rabassa (Translator) 20.Don Quixote: A New Translation by Edith Grossman
21.The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
22.Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (currently reading)
23. 1984 by George Orwell (currently reading)
24.The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury(currently reading)
25. Me talk pretty one day by David Sedaris

8 Comments:

Blogger Arsal said...

Haha, i just realized its you!
You as in RANA.

Two books if you havent already read, you should add to the list.

- Mein kampf
- The Bartimeus trilogy: Amulet of samarkand.

The second i agree is a weird book, but i really enjoyed it.

4:17 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good one Arsal! No one is supposed to know she's RANA. God.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

hahah dork! (fadayah)

thanks for the RECOMMENDATIONS ARSAL a.k.a mr.doctor!

so who won in cricket yesterday?

6:15 AM  
Blogger Arsal said...

Ofcourse i won, i always win.

I am the alpha and I am the omega! Haha :D

And i didnt know no one was supposed to know that it is Rana.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Samawel said...

That's a nice list of books...

Mein kampf... Yeah, Tell me when you get to the part where he explains how I'm supposed to be a part of a Jewish world domination conspiracy (Esperanto speakers, I mean). *hehe*

9:06 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

haha its all good ARSAL. ARSAL.

haha just stop menitoning it. :p

i shall take up your suggestion ARSAL. gosh.

Samawel,

thanks! I hate looking at the best 100 books one must read. I get annoyed because most of the books they put are kinda dull. I HATE CHARLES DICKENS FOR EXAMPLE.
only had one good book: tale of two cities.

i have more books to add to this list. dear god it wont stop growing. I may make this the booklist for the Year. goodness.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Samawel said...

good luck! ;)

11:02 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

thanks i'll need it

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home