Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The smothering heat





I park my car at the universities parking lot. I step out of my air conditioned car, and im welcomed by a harsh hot blazing wind hitting my face. A slap in the face. I curse myself for forgetting my sunglasses. I try to ignore the heat and grab my laptop bag and rush inside the universities gates. The only reason why I am at the university is to attend a series of important meetings. I enter the campus and the weather is brutal. The wind is strong and mercyless. My abaya is flying around, its a love hate relationship. It shields my skin from being horribly burnt, but its black, thus attracting more heat. My eyes are burning, I cant bring myself to look upwards. Im looking down and shielding my head with my folder. I grabbed my scarf and covered my face. This is one day i wish i wore a nikab. My friends joke that I cant handle the heat because im so fair. Sweety I am still arab, I can handle the heat, Im not sweating like a roasting pig. I thnak the lord above for those genes. The western professors at our university are drenched in sweat from the smothering heat.

We go on with life eventhough the hot weather is killer. I complain that the weather is just too brutal, and my friends reassure me that its always this hot at this time of the year. I think back over the last 5 years and think, yea maybe, but seriously ITS REALLY REALLY HOT. We've become accustomed to it and move on.

BUT IN REALITY ITS THE HOTTEST AL AIN HAS BEEN IN 10 YEARS!!!

damn.
I WAS RIGHT! its not that HOT usually.

the funniest thing is when i go back to the states, and the temperature outside is in the high 90's and everyone is complaining about how hot it is. I act totally normal and they think im a psycho because im not phased at the weather.

I give them a puzzled look saying ' Its not hot outside, its weather is pretty good, compared to where I live"

-jaws drop open-

pffftt WIMPS.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weather has improved a bit, it rained today :)
Rain is so refreshing...

But more heat is to come, after a few days, expect the worst :((

BTW, Google Analytics is Cool ;)

8:58 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I don't care what anyone says! I'm not going to the university until the 2nd of Sep!

It burrrns. and the sand storms are not making any better. Also, I have heard that it has been raining but I didn't see anything of that.

At least in Alain, you can go out at night and sit and swim and have fun. NO HUMIDITY!

4:24 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

yea i wrote this a while ago but havent had the chance to post it yet.

Its been raining for the past 4 days!!

more heat to come eh?? well i'll be long gone before that.

god lovessssssssssssssssss me.

:P

Al Ain still ROCKS, forget about the heat.

6:06 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

apparently rain in alain yesterday.

finished exams biz?

mabrooks :)

back to the states soon?

man i'm seeing black cars with red dots in dubai.. it's a scary sight what football can do, and the world cup kicks off tomorrow!!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

yea i love team spirit and pride.

actually i love sports in general.

People are really gearing up for the world cup!

I was forced to choose a team, and i choose BRAZIL. :0

whaaaaaaaaaaat!!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home