Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A little bit about my day......

How many selfless acts do you do in a day? in a week? in a month? in a year? Have you ever stopped and thought about helping others in any way?

I try to carry that (niyah) intention in my heart at all times, but sometimes you are so self absorbed in whats going on in your own life, that you are oblivious to the outside. What a horrible trait.

Today I was walking around campus with a few friends heading towards the business college ,and we saw the blood donation bus. My god?! Has it been a whole year since I last donated blood?! I felt horrible because (hamdullah) i'm very healthy and I can easily give blood more than once a year. We stopped in our tracks and hopped onto the bus. They asked us the usual procedual questions. Man are those nurses a tough crowd. They were hardly civil.
I plop down on the clinical bed and extend my arm. The nurse was looking at me strangely. She asked 'Aren't you afraid?'
me> "No go ahead, I'm not afraid of needles or blood"
the nurse> "oh wow, the girls are always fainting" and she starts tapping my arm to find a vein. She injects the needle and I cringe in pain.
I turned to her and said "why did you choose a small vein, don't you realize its going to hurt so much when its going to pump blood, and its going to pump slowly and hurt even more?"

The nurse was suprised I knew that and said "I couldn't find a bigger vein!".
Before I could reply that thats a load of !@#%, my friend comes in and tells me to calm down.
I ignored the pain and began speaking to my friend and to the nurses. The more i laughed, the more it hurt. :/
It took me 20 minutes to fill up a 450 ml bag of blood. 3 girls came in, donated blood, and left and I was still sitting there trying to fill up my bag because that nurse had to inject the needle in the smallest vein possible.

When my bag finally filled up, and I was bandaged, I jumped off the bed and told my friend I was ready to go. Hahaha the nurses expressions were truly classic. I guess its not every day they see that.

Yea I went through some pain this time when donating blood, but believe me, the feeling of helping someone is an awesome experience. I felt so good afterwards. I couldn't stop smiling.
Throughout the day, if i came across someone i knew, i would go to tell them to donate some blood. Go out and help someone!!

Finally, in my last class, the professor noticed i was acting a little wacky. well wackier than usual. He asked whats wrong with me. I said "Dr. S, there is nothing wrong with me, im just a little woohoo, out of it, because i donated some blood"
I swear, I did not expect him to be so enthusiastic about it. He made the whole class start clapping!

In the end, I donated blood and I was applauded for it. What a way to end a day.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooohoooo!!! Awesome! I would donate, but nobody wants my blood, my blood is not even rich enough for me! :(

12:43 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

you can have my blood!

1:00 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

i just donated my blood sometime last year.. i was stuck in a big vein so it wasn't in vain hehe..

bas i did it in a small van and the temperature outside was just above freezing.. so it took me 20min to fill the 450 ml bag! the nurse was worried about me, but i told her hey.. i am freezing and ur in a t-shirt.. i am not built for the cold! so wait some more!!

then i got a letter from the blood service.. it said i am an O+ which is super common and there is no big need for me to give blood in the future.. thank you very much.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

ouch, they sent a letter?!

well you had good intentions. When you come back to the uae, donate some blood, they'd appreciate it greatly. :)

they want me to give blood often, inshallah i will try to.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Tayyeb they should have given you standing ovations too Biz! lol

Good good, I am yet to donate blood and have no idea what blood type I am. Hmm...

5:53 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

yeah.. they give her a standing ovation and me just a letter!! ufff

biz 3ala fikra,, the brits LOVE papers and letters.. that's why.. they do it to everyone who gives blood for the first time.. ya3ni nothing special...

sniff...

11:59 AM  
Blogger BeeCrazy said...

Aww thank you...can you come over here to give it to me? You can stay with me! :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

SS,

ooo you should consider giving blood. Doesn;t your drivers license say what blood type you are?

and lmao standing ovaition? haha, i hope not.

Buj,
in america when you get harassed or are treated badly, you always threaten to 'write a letter'.haha.

Yea i think in the states they are big on papers and letters and what not. I can't really remember those details.

but you don't need a letter or any recognition of what a great thing you did.

White silk,
oooo greetings! I'd be more than happy to go and give you my blood! just have cheesecake waiting for me. :)

1:46 PM  
Blogger -Maha- said...

arabized

that's the spirit!...and well done..

to think of it i never had the chance to donate blood because mine is always less then required...

anyways the things you said about feeling good when helping others is so true...we can help others in many ways and the sensation that fills one's heart is simply out of this world...:)

btw nice blog keep it up..

12:08 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

thanks hamsa!

and if i usally go off in a rant, just ignore it.

12:11 PM  
Blogger BeeCrazy said...

Its a deal: cheesecake for blood! :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger BuJ said...

biz u really don't get me... the letter was administrative not welcoming.. basically it mainly had my blood-number so i can use it next time i give blood, it saves paperwork in the long run.. a very un-british thing to do! hehe

2:41 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

thanks buj for clarifying that.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home