Thursday, April 06, 2006

A funny incident....it deals with how stressed a person can get.

I may live in the UAE but it doesn't mean I speak arabic often. Majority of my time is spent on my University campus where the professors and students speak english. The coursework and materials used are all in english. I get things done by speaking in english. So basically I barely speak arabic these days. haha.

I've been stressed out lately, so a group of friends made me go out to a cafe with them, to just chill and relax. The waiter came for our orders, and i was the last one to order. They have this really good lemon and mint drink. Its awesome. So in my head I was thinking " 3aseer Laymoon wa na3na3" (Lemon and mint juice).

So i'm telling the waiter i want this drink. He just gives me this queer look and says "Are you sure? I dont think we have it. "
me> "How can you not have it? I had it last week!"
the waiter> 'We dont have this drink!"
me>"yes you do!"

now the dialouge is in english ( the waiter and i were speaking in arabic before).
my friend> 'are you sure you want that?'
me> 'Yea im sure, its soooooooooo good'
my friends,with my brother and the waiter are just starring at me, like is this girl for real?
my friend > 'Are you sure you are not on CRACK?!'
me> "what?!? why would I be on crack for ordering lemon and mint juice?"

The whole group cracks up laughing. My brother falls off his chair. They all started yelling,
'Do you realize what you were trying to order?"
me> 'yea lemon and mint juice! WHATS SO DAMN FUNNY ABOUT THAT?'
my brother> 'no retard, you kept insisting on '3aseer laymoon wa ba'adonis' lemon and parsley juice!"

me>-turning bright red, and apologizes to the waiter and fixes my order-

You see how stressed out I am?

19 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Haha! I remember when we were having dinner and you were making fun of me, so I just turned and told everyone your parsley story!

Your face turned RED!

Now every time I see mint and lemon juice I laugh!

We should speak arabic more! Hasanan?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

na3m!

i've been here for 5 years and my arabic has gotten better, but its not THAT GREAT. I also think i get shy or im not able to express everything i want to say.

Its just soo confusing here, everyone has their own accent/dialect. At least i can distinguish where people are from. Even what tribe or what part of uae are you from. haha.

:/

7:44 AM  
Blogger Jassim said...

Aha. I c..u r one of those non arabic speaking arabs..tut tut tut. Same club as Nomaadic and those type. U should all be shiped off to the desert to stay with some real bedus for 5 years, so you can come back speaking proper arabic.

:-)

10:17 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

lol jassim. You think that will help them? They will just go back to their lives and their language will be so confusing then. At least they know proper english. I know some who can't finish a sentence in either arabic or english, they have to mix!

I have also been listening to kids here closely and honestly, their langauge skills are so messed up!

I think that since private schools teach everything in English they should have very strong arabic classes. In my school, we used to just memorize the arabic questions and answers!

Coffee anyone?

11:36 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

ohh mj i have the same theory.
Well its all about practice. I still rememeber my spanish teachers words 'You either use it or you'll lost it' -sigh-

listen its either going to be araby fus7a or syrian dialect arabic. ok??

jaseem,
5 years?! holy! I mean a year would be intresting, perhaps 2, but 5?!
well i might agree if the rest are going.
make the preparaitions and i'll be on my way.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

* I still rememeber my spanish teachers words 'You either use it or you'll lose it'

1:32 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

YOU WILL LOST IT!

I said that to Biz while read it and she was like 'you stupid! you wil lose it!'

me: 'but that's what you wrote'

Biz: 'are you stupid!'

Sister: 'hahaha.read what you wrote!'

i'm wondering who is the stupid one here.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

TYPO FOR HEAVENS SAKE.

:(

don't taunt me, you silllly english knnnnnnnnight!
-props to monty python-

2:37 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I'm invincible!!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

'who's castle is this?'

6:33 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I'm 37, I'm not old. And I object to you treating me like an inferior!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

'well i didn't vote for ya'

since we aren't replying to each other correctly, i though i'd throw this one in. :P

9:06 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

You don't vote for kings!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

haha weren't you there when this incident happened?!

1:45 PM  
Blogger BuJ said...

lol this mistake needed a lot of planning!

lots of difference between ba2doonis and na3naa3!

anyway hope ur chilled now.. relaxxx

10:38 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

hey buj!

Yea im pretty chilled out at the moment, im trying to relax before the craziness starts up again!
-sigh-

oh and >>lots of difference between ba2doonis and na3naa3!<<

I KNOW THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2!

(i know arabic :/ )

1:15 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

This weekend! We will have mint and lemon juice and I will tell EVERYONE about this! mwahaha.

Remember when my grandmother was like 'Biz, when someone says 'Alsalam 3alaikom' you say 'wa3alaykom alsalam'" because she thought you don't know Arabic whatsoever.

12:59 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

i never said u don't know arabic.. after all u posted about the gates of damascus.. plus that's not the point..

the point is that we all make mistakes.. i do a lot of them..

my most common one is confusing "kheir"-goodness with "kh.." that means shit.. so i'd be like.. instead of kheir inshalla... won't continue....

that's embarrasing...

5:31 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

lmao, im trying to imagine someone saying "khara inshallah".

bwhahahaah.

sorry it had to be said.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home