Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Another day, another semester

The first week of the new semester is always chaotic and extremely stressful.
As usual most of the sections are closed (full) and there are not enough classes to accomodate all the students. The university always end up having to open new sections at the very last minute. Untill the university opens new sections, students scramble to persuade the heads of deptartments,assistant deans, associate deans, and the deans of their colleges to raise the ceilings of the currently full classes. The students will plead their case to anyone willing to listen or give them the time of day. You see students camped out at the advising and registration offices of their college. At first glance, you just see a sea of black (from the abayas). You walk into the office space and you just hear such a commotion. Students pleading, students yelling, adminstrators yelling, students cursing, girls crying, adminstrators trying to calm the girls down, girls chatting(gossiping), girls laughing, phones ringing, security moving the girls along, printers and fax machines going bizeerk, the sound of students typing(more like banging) on the keyboards of their laptops. At first, you are overwhelmed from all the activity. You scramble out. You take a deep breathe, and you face the "mob".

They are relentless. It literally is survival of the fittest. Students will camp out for hours and hours and hours just to register for a class or two, and then try for more classes the following day. They come prepared; course catalogs,laptops,battery(charger),power outlets,mobiles, water bottles, snacks, etc.

And since you have to register online, sometimes the system starts lagging from all the users and sometimes it just gets messed up. That just causes even more problems because it delays the registration period for the students. Registration is not always open for all the students. It depends on what year you are and your GPA. Some students have it all week long, while others only have it for one day. Akhhhhh the chaos.

Me for example,I transfered from one college to another. So I couldn't register till I found out I was accepted into the college. I started off with 1 class. I needed to register 5 more courses. Once I found out i was accepted, I also had to scramble to get the courses i wanted with the instructors(professors) I wanted. You have to push, and push hard for the courses you want. You go to university from 7:30 am till 4:00 pm just trying and hoping to get a class. I sprained my ankle on tuesday night ( i can barely walk without screaming in pain and my doctor actually told me i was not to leave the house for any circumstances.) and that did not stop me from going to university bright and early on wednesday morning to finish getting all my courses. Hamduallah by 2:30 pm, I finished registering my 6 courses.

to recap this week> Registration week is a complete and total nightmare!

Its so annoying and frustrating that we have to go through so much crap just to get classes. I even get more annoyed when people say "Nothing comes easy". Im not asking you to make my schedule, but it doesn't have to be so damn difficult and frustrating. If advisors and adminstrators would do their damn job there wouldn't be all this chaos and confusion. Thats the problem, they just don't give a damn to try to solve or fix the problems at hand. They get paid, and thats all they worry about. Gob forbid if we give actually pay them for the amount of work they actually do. I mean you are wasting government money and resources by paying these incompetent people.

13 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Yes, it's a complete nightmare that thanks to Allah I didn't have to go through! but I had to go to my classes.

I was so pissed off at the whole thing all week, not all colleges have the problem, and it might be at the Business college only. We need to have a 'chat' with the dean, seriously. because the classes with a 30 students ceiling end up with 40-45.

None of us will have the problem next semester because we will all get to register early.

... How's the skull?

3:23 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

... and how's the b3eer?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

Mj> My skull is fine, hamdullah :p but my foot(ankle) is killing me and i have random bruises on my arm.

This whole spraining my ankle business is being used rather quite well. Can I send someone to get my books? why? Because my ankle is sprained.

Can i get these classes? why? Because my ankle is sprained. :P

Im kidding, i didnt take any pity from anybody, i did stuff for myself. I have some dignity.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

my b3eers are fine, producing offspring and milk. Im starting a new concept, b3eer cheese anyone?

11:48 PM  
Blogger BuJ said...

Oye, I thought MJ was the one with b3eer. Plus b3eer is plural, you cannot thus say "b3eers"! heresy!

I would like to add to your cheese by suggesting b3eer Lurpack, b3eer Puck, b3eer pastry, etc.. :)

إكتفاء ذاتي

2:30 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

by aking my fellow emirati peers (sitting around me)b3eer is singular.

The plural form of b3eer is ba3raan, bosh, noug.

i feel like im not speaking arabic at times, whats homous again? daynga? :/

MJ MJ MJ >>> I SENT HANEEFA! bwhahahahha (6)

3:39 AM  
Blogger 3li said...

too true,.,.b3ran (how did the conversation get this distorted?)

8:53 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

Yes Buj, thanks for reminding me, Biz doesn't own not one single b3eer, THEY ARE ALL MINE! (She raises dogs.)

hahhaha. I keep referring to B3eers as B3eers and when I first mentioned it in front of my grandmother; she almost had a heart attack. The look on her face!

Biz,
I didn't get my books you all are X! I'm sure I didn't lose my book last semester but I still have to go pay for it because I probably gave my book to you or faz.

Tomorrow is going to be a headache! *wants to hide under her bed and stay there reading all day instead*

... Oh, there is no under my bed, so I can't hide there.

Why am I talking here?

and Ba3raan sounds like Ba3ar which means... you know.

doesn't it?

and I hate everyone for saying I sound so moany (that's not even a word! but just go ask my British teacher) when I speak English.

... I will go run.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

MJ> I dont raise dogs, i dont even have dogs.


bwhahaha you sound moany? wtf? don't listen to that crazy teacher. shes like so ..out there.. I don't know where she got that from. Didn't she say all teenagers sound moany? And what the hell does moany mean? How can you speak in a moany way? what are you a cow? (im not saying you are, so don't attack me)

im glad i didnt take her class, sorry, but 'tis true, i like my calm (hady) professor, who thinks me and faz crazy?! hehe.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

3lo g> how did it get distorted? hahah we always ask that question. It just happens :) its funny.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Rory said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Rory said...

hey, i was about to comment on ur post but as i started reading ur comments i just lost track of the topic hehehe :s,,

anyway, what i wanted to say is that we all have those Incompetent jerks, it's not like the issue is new, and it's like they grow in small places and then just spread i guess..

anyway, life is hard.. the key is Endurance.. :)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

yea rory, incompetent people are found everywhere.

Haha it happens often, the comments usually have nothing to do with the post :p

thanks for passing by.

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home