Thursday, December 22, 2005

I don't know if many people do this, but I do this every day. I skim the titles of all the articles that are posted on google news.

I saw this title, and it struck an intrest right away. Haha. I mean if you saw the same title, you'd click on it too.

It's true, dancing does lead to sex

By Alok Jha
in London
December 22, 2005

SCIENTISTS have confirmed what fans of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever have known all along: men with the best dance moves have the most sex appeal.

The finding lends support to the idea that dancing is a way to show off high quality genes and good health - both indicators of a top quality mate.

Charles Darwin was the first to suggest that dance was a courtship signal in animals, but there had been no studies of the relation of dance and genetic or physical quality in humans until now.

In a study published yesterday in the journal Nature, William Brown, of Rutgers University in New Jersey, looked at how dancing ability correlated with a person's body symmetry, a typical measure of the quality of a mate in evolutionary biology.

Across a wide range of species, less-symmetric bodies are associated with increased disease and poor reproductivity.

Professor Brown recorded 183 Jamaicans strutting their stuff and then presented the results to 155 peers for evaluation on a dance rating scale.

The body symmetry of the participants was assessed by matching their elbows, wrists, knees, ankles, feet, ears and third, fourth and fifth fingers.

Professor Brown found that symmetrical men were evaluated as significantly better dancers than asymmetric ones. Likewise, men preferred the dances of symmetrical women, although this effect was not as marked, suggesting women are more choosy in selecting mates.

However, the researchers stopped short of saying why symmetry was so crucial, and said more study was necessary.

"Attractive dances may be more difficult to perform, more rhythmic, more energetic, more energy-efficient or any combination of these factors," they write.

"Does dance ability correlate with reproductive success? We plan to address this question with long-term data from the same population."

(end of article.)

So I ask myself these days, Is it better to dance in front of women or Men?
hahah.

23 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Wow Biz!

That is one interesting and let me suggest one thing, don't dance in front of women or men.

Men, you know why. and women, because well... if you don't really know them, you can't trust them!!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

Haha.

thanks MJ, i'll keep that in mind.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

i don't know why, but it reminded me of this shirt they use to sell in ISNA.

" Dancing is haram"
" Pigs are haram"

"dancing pigs are VERY haram!"

-busts out laughing-

9:18 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

I see you're trying to reach for a broader audience now :)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

haha yes my first step, posting something more people can connect with (ibn arabi seems to have lost some people).

second step, allowing people who aren't registered to post a comment. I should have done it from the beginning but never got around to do it.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

Mj did you evaluate your professors yet?

I just finished evaluating them and left this remark about my MIS professor. lmao.

>>This class is totally awesome and its awesome because of our professor. He should be teaching more courses. If i had the choice i would pick him to teach all my courses. He should get a raise!! Pay the man more money!!<<

haha i'm sending that to him in an email!

3:06 AM  
Blogger moryarti said...

On the dancing and sex thing .. thats a very old theory - i read it in an Esquire magazine back in 1999 - i have been perfecting my dance moves since then :o)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

HAHAHAH!!

yea its an old theory, but it made me laugh. The other day, a fikr (islamic thoughts)professor at the university was blasting on and on about men and women dancing and its haram because it leads to sex. 'WOE TO THOSE WHO DANCE' lmao.

8:42 AM  
Blogger CG said...

I have 2 left feet.





Cgwzvg

6:24 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

i'm sorry. :/

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Been following a few of your posts. Interesting. Didnt know u welcomed comments - usually i saw only a 3-way conversation - u, MJ, Buj and sometimes Moryarti.

I read them with interest, more because they give an intelligent insight into today's Arab youth.

And all I can say, is I am IMPRESSED - and really glad i came across your blogs - Arabized and MJ.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

wow! I really appreciate your comment sam! Feel free to comment as often as you like.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with Sam. This is a very good insight. I like the dance leads to sex post. I agree with it. Do you?
What I mean is that when you dance with someone do you feel sexually drawn to them? Tell me Biz.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mustafa,

thanks for concurring.

but When I said ' an insight into today's' young Arab minds - it had nothing to do with the ' dance leads to sex' post.

I was talking about Arabized's blog overall and MJ's too. They strike me as literate, educated, thinking young persons - the likes of whom we need more and the likes of whom, I wish would stand up and be counted - when it comes to fighting typing casting people from this region.

;-) And i must confess - your intentions are rather transparent Mustafa. Dont turn this into another Yahoo chat room. What next the 'asl?' question?

9:18 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

well mustafa,
maybe next time i should clearly state my stance on this subject.

As a MUSLIM, i don't belive in men and women congergating in such a setting.
Being at school parties,night clubs or just plain old weddings.

why? to avoid the plain old 'sexual drawnnes' as you have asked. Maybe you should do the same, you know to be clear of chlamydia. wait im sorry is that too big of a word for you? go google it.

11:55 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

I was not supposed to comment on anything for sometime...

Thanks Sam! :D

(I didn't really think that people would come and read all the craziness in the begining... they would think we are crazy...we are not!)

12:42 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

Sam,

Hi there...
your post made me laugh a bit:

"usually i saw only a 3-way conversation - u, MJ, Buj and sometimes Moryarti.

I read them with interest, more because they give an intelligent insight into today's Arab youth.

And all I can say, is I am IMPRESSED
"


You might not realise that I'm British of Iranian origin.. Not very Arab.. or at least that's what some people think... muhahaha

12:15 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

>>You might not realise that I'm British of Iranian origin.. Not very Arab.. or at least that's what some people think...<<

??

12:37 PM  
Blogger BuJ said...

Yep, it is a long story...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

oh tell! I'm intrested in hearing(reading) it.

5:06 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

hmmm.. probably not a good idea to spill the beans here..

12:00 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

ha yea, the title of the post isn't really appropiate. :/

you put up your email, should i harass you from there?

11:12 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

gosh. He don't want to tell you the LONG story! Jesus. leave the guy alone.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home