Friday, December 02, 2005

How can I express who I am? Do you know how hard that it is for me? For the past 20+ years, I’ve been torn between 2 vast cultures and identities.

When people first meet me, they inquiry where I’m from…my speech falters because I know whatever my answer is I will offend them in someway. I will also get a 5 minute speech on how I should be proud because I’m from such and such country. Who said I’m not? I’m proud of both and ashamed of both. I am not one without the other. This is who I am. It’s not half of this and half of that. I’m not unique, there are millions of people with the same dilemma. We search deep inside ourselves, trying to define who we really are. It is so important to categorize ourselves into little groups and titles. It gives us a sense of belonging. The problem is that I feel that I don’t belong in either group.

Going to university is really all about finding oneself than actual studying. This is the stage I’m at now. I’m trying to define myself. I’m revising the moldings that I have gone through, Nature vs. Nurture.

I’m bringing this up because the other day BUJ recommended this book by Amin Maalouf. So I looked it up and read some of the introduction. It struck something inside me. I felt exactly the same way.


Identity can’t be compartmentalized. You can’t divide it up into halves or thirds or any other separate segments. I haven’t got several identities: I’ve got just one, made up of many components in a mixture that is unique to me, just as other people’s identity is unique to them as individuals.
-Amin Maalouf



I have to find this book and get it!

If only, when people ask me where I’m from I wish I could just say that I’M MUSLIM.
I mean that’s a huge chunk of my identity and who I am.

12 Comments:

Blogger BuJ said...

excellent.. i had a feeling that you will connect with this book. you can borrow my copy.. i ordered two by mistake!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

thanks! So you are going to fed-ex it?
:p

3:54 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

yeah sure, or if u wait for 3 weeks or so i will be in the emirates :)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

ohh i was joking, i dont want to trouble you!! Ok we will strike a deal, if i don't find it here,i'll then ask to borrow it from you. Ok?!

5:20 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I try to understand how you feel about it, but I don't think I will ever understand. I just try hard to. What's important is to just be who you are, it's not where you are from that identifies you, it's what you are and what you believe in that identifies you.

People who judge people by where they are from are just not worth it. Be proud of who you are, some people would wish they had the life you had and is having.

I might give that book a try after lea the african, which turns out to be a slow read.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

Just the beginning is pretty slow, just wait till he gets to FEZ, gosh. patience!

5:33 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

yes, you told me that you skipped, oh sorry. SKIMMED through the first few chapters. ;)

5:34 AM  
Blogger Arabized said...

shhhhhh! gosh.

5:46 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

books should be treasured and shared.. i think u will appreciate it so of course u can borrow it if u cannot find it. deal.

loool @ the "skimming" of the book of Leo...
3eib.. read it properly!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

haraaaaam!! I did read the book properly, that is after they left Andalusia. :S
-looks ashamed-

oh and JAZAKS about the book! Inshallah today I will start my quest in finding that book. Wish me luck. :)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Arabized said...

ok so yea, im changing my view on mall of the emirates. ITS AWESOME! I FOUND THE BOOK!! So now virgin megastore rocks haha.

:)

I'm reading it, and so far its incredible. I mean i completley connect with it, and I feel somehow at peace?

I loved the part when he talks about how IDENTITY is an ongoing topic and how SOCRATES SAYS 'KNOW ONESELF' (awesome)

there are other parts in the book, that was just truly powerful.

Thank you soo much for recommending the book.

7:00 AM  
Blogger BuJ said...

hi Biz... glad you found the book.. too bad u now like malls.. i hate them..

anyway the book is fantastic.. even though perhaps i cannot admit to be as torn as you when it comes to identity but i can relate to this book..

it's short so you should read it quickly.. and then let me know what u think... way to go!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home